Two scoops of training

A few days ago, I took my family to a local ice cream shop for dessert.

Amongst the wonderful flavors of sugary goodness I beheld, I noticed something else.  As we walked in the door (about an hour before closing time), one of the veteran workers asked a younger worker if she wanted to try taking our orders.  With a mix of fear and excitement, she nodded her head and approached the counter.

Over the next few minutes, we debated our order (which you must do if you have a three-year-old in the mix), then we kindly recited our desires to the young lady at the register.  Carefully, she punched the necessary buttons, pausing every few seconds to glance over her shoulder at the veteran worker to make sure she got it right.

My wife and child scurried over to find a seat while I stayed behind to pay the bill.  A few minutes later out came our ice cream treats, all made to our exact specifications.  We sat for a few minutes and ate our cones while the workers started to clean the store.  We were the last customers of the day.

It would have been so easy for the veteran worker, at the end of a long night of service, to quickly take our orders and be done.  However, she saw an opportunity to train an inexperienced worker how to wait on customers and handle the cash register.  Next time, the younger worker will have more confidence.  Eventually, it will be part of her everyday job.

I share that story with you because it reminds me of the need to pour into our current generation of students. We allow them to work at McDonald's, lead the basketball team down the court, march to precision in the band, babysit younger kids and even help out around the house and farm.

Yet, we stunt their growth in the church.  We're afraid to give them responsibility over a ministry or class or Bible study.  We regulate them to youth rooms, buildings, ministries and programs.  All the while we're missing opportunities to train them for service and Kingdom work.

It only takes a few minutes to show them how to do it and watch their eyes light up with confidence.

I'm reminded of Jeremiah's word during his calling by the Lord.

"Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child."  But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.   Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD." - Jeremiah 1:6-8 (NIV).

God told Jeremiah not to worry about his youth, but to speak the words he put in his mouth.  If only we would treat some of our students the same way.

Don't let students be content sitting in the back, scooping ice cream and doing menial tasks.  Let them take risks and try new things and lead.  You might be surprised by the results.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning