Reading Your Instructions

When I was younger, I never really read directions.

If I received a video game for Christmas or my birthday, I would quickly unwrap the game and shove it into the console.  You figured out how to play the game by experience, not be reading the instructions. 

How I wish were true for all things in life.  Unfortunately, it's not.  Many projects I've done - including putting together the crib for my child - required extensively reading the instructions before starting.  It makes the process go smoother and quicker.

When I began collecting Star Wars LEGO sets, instructions became more important.  The little LEGO bricks only fit together a certain way to make the item pictured on the box.  Some of the sets I had were over 1,000 bricks.  Without the reading the instructions, the item would never be constructed.

We have an instruction book for life, but we often play the game and try to learn by experience.

God's instructions for us are contained in his Word.  We call it the Bible.  Everything you want to know about anything is easily accessible by reading a Bible.  Many of the questions we seek are answered in scripture.

What's the meaning of life?

Where does God want me to go to college?

Is he or she the one?

Am I called to ministry?

What does God think about _______?

All of those questions, and more, are located in the page of scripture.  The key is TO READ IT.

My advice is to have a plan and stick to it.  You can read the Bible in a year or over two years.  You can read a chapter at a time or a book of the Bible a month.  You can alternate Old and New Testament texts or you can plow right through starting in Genesis.  Whatever your plan is STICK TO IT. 

If you call yourself a follower of Jesus, then stick read his Word.  Study what Jesus says.  Pray over the text.  Allow it to speak to you.

After all, it's life's instructions - for this world and the next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning