The importance of plans

I remember early in my ministry.  I'd come in at 3 in the afternoon wondering what lesson I would teach just three hours later. 

What followed was an hour of frantically searching scripture, idea books, the Internet and even asking friends for advice.  Next came a rapid two-hour lesson preparation, before teaching.  Inevitably, I taught the same topics routinely.  Often times, I would quote the same scriptures over and over. 

That's pretty much how it went for my first two years of ministry.  I literally dreaded Wednesday afternoons.  I'm not sure my lessons were all that great either.  There was not enough forethought into what I was teaching students.

That's when I began thinking about long-term lesson planning.  I began to develop a teaching schedule, mainly using my own curriculum or lesson ideas.  This time, instead of walking in Wednesday afternoon and figuring out the lesson, I knew weeks in advance what scripture I would teach on and what topics we would cover.

It was such a freeing experience, I've kept it to this day.  I now have a year's worth of lesson's planned out.  In August, I can tell you what we'll be teaching in May.  It sounds like a lot of work, but it makes a big difference in our ministry. 

So what does this have to do with anything?  Just this:  Have a plan when studying God's word.  If you're a teacher, have a guide for your lessons, including a schedule.  If you're a follower of Christ, have a plan for reading scripture, including a schedule.  That insures that we keep consistent in our walk.  It enables us to look at scripture we might usually ignore. 

Remember:  Have a plan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning