Words can be murder

"Hey Elvis," they'd say. "Sing a song."

It wasn't meant to comment my non-existant singing ability. Instead, they poked fun at my long sideburns. They reached halfway down my cheek, thus the Elvis quip.

Truth be told, I didn't have long sideburns by design. My family simply could not afford frequent haircuts, so often I would go two or three months between clippings. By the time I got a haircut, my hair was quite lengthy in the back and, of course, on the sideburns. It's why today I hate having any kind of length to my hair and have my wife trim it about once a month. I don't want to see it that way again or dare to hear remarks about it.

You see, sticks and stones can break your bones but words can sometimes hurt more. Those wounds don't heal as easily as a bone or cut or scratch. Words leaving lasting scars that really never go away.

In exodus 20, in the sixth commandment, god says you shall not murder. Jesus takes it one step further in Matthew 5:21-22 when he says harsh words equate with murder. In other words, words can kill. They kill spirit and soul and desire and confidence. That's why Jesus took it so seriously. He knows how much words can hurt. They can even cause ruptures in your relationship with God.

I know as I got to high school, my relationship with Jesus was not the greatest. I let all those words and names and putdowns poison my relationship with the King. Instead of sharing Jesus and boldly standing for him I sought out other tortured souls and bounded with our common pains instead of the joy of Jesus. Thankfully Jesus engineered it so I would get reconnected with him but I know I missed many opportunities to make him known.

So watch your words. Forgive others for the pain they have caused you with their words. Seek forgiveness of others for whom may have hurt.

Above all, remember Jesus loves you know matter what and he hates name calling just as much as murder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict