Rest...or face the consequences

I remember early in my ministry I was constantly working.

Monday thru Friday, I had daily office hours I had to keep at the newspaper, where I worked as a sports writer.  Covering sports also meant you worked a lot of nights.  A LOT of nights.  I covered all the sports in high school, plus a few non-high school sports.  I worked Monday nights at games or on the sports section.  Tuesday nights at games or on the rest of the paper.  Thursday and Friday nights were usually game nights too.  Plus there were Saturday morning and afternoon events. 

On top of that, I was serving as a bi-vocational youth pastor.  I had youth each Wednesday night.  Office hours at church on Wednesday and Thursday.  Saturday events (when I wasn't covering sports) and all of my assigned duties on Sunday (including roles in both morning services, teaching Sunday School and weekly Sunday night meetings.)

I literally worked seven days (and nights) a week.  When I wasn't busy at one job, I was busy at the other.  My vacations from the newspaper were usually spent taking students to youth camps, mission trips, weekend events and youth conferences.

Tired didn't cut it.  After four years of that pace, I was exhausted.

I'm not exaggerating when I tell you there are holes in my memory from those four years.  There are events that I participated in that my wife has to tell me about.  I simply don't remember some things from that time frame.

Often my wife and I would have conversations three and four times, simply because I forgot we had the conversation.  She would kindly remind me, "Dear, you've already told me that...three times now."

My exhaustive pace and lack of rest left me on edge, worn out, forgetful and restless.  When I could sleep, I didn't get a good night's worth.  It was hard on me, my wife and our marriage.  We both agreed things had to change and thankfully, God provided an opportunity to get into full-time ministry.

I share that example to remind you of the Fourth Commandment, found in Exodus 20:8.  Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.  God designed the Sabbath for us.  He created it so we would take a break and rest.  Not in a legal, rest or your doomed to Hell kind of approach the Pharisees prescribed too.  He set it up so that we, as believers, would take some time to stop, think about him, reflect on his holiness, spend time with our families and REST.

He didn't want me to work like I did.  That's why I become forgetful and on edge.  I worked beyond hard, beyond exhaustion and I didn't take time to REST.  God reminds us to REST.  To recooperate our bodies, minds, souls and hearts as we worship and honor Jesus.

So, I extol you to rest.  To take a Sabbath and spend it reflecting on Jesus while you give yourself a break from the work you do six days a week.  Afterall, the consequences are painful.  Just listen to Your Maker and rest.  He made you.  He knows what's best for you.  Trust me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict