The Best Laid Plans...

When I was a young teenager, I knew exactly what I was going to be when I grew up.  I was going to be an attorney.

Now, this decision didn't come as a result of me wanting to help people or because I had an affinity for the law. No, at the ripe old age of 13, I wanted to be a lawyer because lawyers were rich.  They made a lot of money, and coming from a family that didn't always have a lot of means, that was one of my desires as an adult.

Thankfully, I soon found a new love:  journalism.  That one, though, comes at a much discounted salary from an attorney.  But I loved writing and covering sports and it's what I decided to do.

Not long after I began my sports writing career, God called me to the ministry.  It wasn't long after I started serving as a part-time youth minister that I knew God had called me to full-time vocational ministry.  I've been doing that ever since.

It's funny to think about how I got from a desire to be rich to a call to serve others in a ministry setting. Pastor is certainly not the role I would have chosen.  Had God not called me to be a pastor, I would have been perfectly content as a sports writer (even though it severely underpaid.)

The point is God's will superseded mine. When God called me to be a pastor, I did resist at first, but ultimately I followed his direction. I am blessed for it.  But what if I chose a different path?  What if I didn't listen or follow his call?

Mary had a choice:  Follow God's calling or go her own way.  I'm sure she never intended to be unwed and pregnant. I'm sure she never intended to start off married life with a baby to begin things.  I am definitely sure she never anticipated having the Messiah.

But what she desired and wanted didn't matter.  This was God's design and plan for her life.  One that she graciously accepted.  We see in Luke 1:38 that she submitted to the Lord's leading, calling herself the Lord's servant or slave.  He is the master and her role is to follow.

Mary changed her plans to follow God's plan.  Will you? 

Too often we have our minds made up and our plans set in stone.  We rigidly know what's best and stick to it no matter what.  But what if God's plan doesn't align with your plan?  The truth is it may not.  And when that happens, you face a choice like Mary:  will you give up your hopes and dreams and plans for God's or will you stay the course.  Only you can decide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning