Hearing from God

I sat there mesmerized.

It was nothing more than a cluster of grapes, a large vine and a Bible verse, but I could not step away.  The verse, from John 15, reminded me that apart from Jesus I can not bear fruit.  It's a verse I've read and quoted countless times.  Yet, for this moment, I felt the weight of that passage.

We were smack dab in the middle of a mission trip to St. Louis.  This particular day found me at the St. Louis Botanical Gardens--an excursion our sight liaison arranged during our visit.  Amidst all the various plants and trees, the Botanical Gardens houses a small Biblical garden, featuring plants mentioned and used in the Bible. 

The grapes were front and center.  The clusters of grapes were enormous, overloading the vines which were literally hanging over the patio.  I stopped and marveled at the amount of fruit and at the words of Jesus.

In the middle of St. Louis, the world disappeared as I experienced the presence of the almighty creator.  I had been searching for his voice and in this moment, I heard him clearly.

Jesus wants us to be fruitful.  He wants the fruit to overwhelm the vines.  Jesus doesn't intend for us to squeeze out one grape, but produce an overflowing cluster.  He promises that as long as we attach ourselves to him, he will produce numerous fruits in our lives.

On that day, I needed that verse.  I felt completely in his presence and attached to the vine.  I realized in my own power I cannot produce the fruit Jesus craves.  It is only by his power that I can live up the potential he created me to achieve.  Only by being on the vine can I produce good fruit.

In the midst of a mission trip, in urban St. Louis, I needed that message.  I needed to feel my saviors hands and mind and touch.  I needed to abide in his love.

It's amazing what a visual and scripture can do, but God used that moment to speak into my life.  Remember, God will speak if we observe his work.  He desires for us to hear.  We, like I did, just need to stop and listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict