One person can make a difference

A few years ago when I wrote for the newspaper, I covered the story of a recount in an election.

Two candidates for a local office had finished within three votes of each other, prompting an automatic recount of the votes.  As I sat there in the tiny office surrounded by the candidates and their supporters, I watched as the election officials pulled each ballot by hand and counted the votes again.

The tedious process produced fruit.  Some votes were miscounted, but not enough to change the result.  The winning candidate claimed victory by a single vote.  As I witnessed disappointment and elation amongst the two contenders, I could only think one thing:  I single-handedly elected this guy to office.

You see, I voted for the winning candidate.

Going into the ballot box, I had no clue to vote for in the race.  So I picked him.  And he won.  By one vote.  By my vote.

I made a difference.  I changed the election.  I helped one man achieve his dreams and crushed another's opportunity.  I sat in awe and humbled at the same time.  In this election, and in this case, every vote really did count...including mine.

Often, we don't think we can't make much of a difference in the world, let alone for the kingdom of God.  We know our flaws and our limitations.  We lived our pasts and our transgressions.  We believe someone else is better suited for God's grand plan.

The truth is, God chooses to use ordinary people to do extraordinary things.  He often selects the unassuming to make great changes in the world.

In 2 Chronicles 22 and 23, we see how two people made a positive impact for God's kingdom.  Athaliah, an evil queen, tried to end the line of David and derail God's redemptive plan.  Jehosheba, a priest's wife, saved an innocent boy - the last living heir of David - to preserve God's plan.  Her husband, Jehoiada, a priest, protected the boy and restored his kingdom.

Two people saved an innocent boy from an untimely death.  Two people preserved the line of David.  Two people ensured that the lineage of the Messiah stayed in tact.  Two people served God and allowed humanity to be reconciled through Jesus.

Two unassuming people changed the course of human history and advanced the Kingdom of Christ.

God can and will use you.  You can make a difference for his kingdom.  Will you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict