My treasure


What is my treasure?

Some would look at that picture and come up with an idea.

I've been toy collector since 1997 when a buddy of mine bought me a C3P0 action figure for my birthday.  I quickly added an Obi-Wan Kenobi and a Princess Leia.  Before long, I had a collection of about 15 different action figures (still in the packages).  I was off and running on my new hobby.

Fast forward some 15 years.  I now collect Star Wars figures (which I have since opened and displayed) and Transformer figures.  I mostly like to get stuff I played with as a kid or that looks like it.  Pictured above is part of my Transformers collection.

If you look close enough, you can see my Superion.  That's the red and white robot in the background. (It's actually pictured here on the right).

When I was a child, that's the one figure I wanted, and I eventually got it.  (There's a whole other story about how I lost it and reacquired it.)  For me, that is my most prized Transformer.  If I have to sell my collection one day, Superion will be the VERY LAST PIECE I sell.

Some people see that stuff and see junk.  Others see it as toys for children that a grown man should not be interested in.  To me, it's a treasure trove of memories of childhood and times with my friend and the hunt to find the figure.  The toys are worth more than money.  They represent me.

But they are not my treasure.  Jesus is.

Jesus warns us that we should invest in eternal treasures and not in earthly ones in Matthew 6.  I'm no fool.  I realize these toys are just things.  They won't be with me when I get to heaven.  I won't give them a second thought when I'm standing before my creator and king.

That's exactly what Jesus is talking about.  No matter what we have in life.  No matter what we acquire or use or spend time on, none of it should compare to Christ.  He is our true treasure.  He doesn't rot.  He doesn't break.  He doesn't fade away.

Jesus can always be counted on.  He never leaves or runs away or disappears.  He's always there.

I love that I have a God that's dependable.  That's worth more than any dollar, any action figure or any precious metal.  My treasure room isn't my collection, it's in my heart, where Jesus resides.

So, what is your treasure?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning