Just Chatting with God


In case you don't know this, I'm a bit odd.  (I can imagine you mockingly shaking your head about that statement.)

I may have shared this before, but I obsess about conversations.  I rehearse a lot of important conversations.  I rehearse telephone conversations with potential problem parents.  I rehearse sermons and youth lessons.  I even rehearse conversations I will have with my wife later.

The thing is, I'm not good off the cuff.  I'm much better "scripted" per se.  So, I want to make sure I say what I mean and say it in the moment it needs to be said.  For me, there is nothing worse than having a conversation go wrong, and 20 minutes later realizing what you wanted to say.  I want to get it right on the first try.

So, yes, I rehearse many of my conversations.  Like I said, I'm a bit odd.

There is one conversation I never rehearse.  When I pray, it's off the cuff.  That sometimes gets me in trouble (especially in public or congregational prayers) but when I pray I'm talking to God, and well, according to scripture, he knows what's on my mind and what I'm going to say before I say it.  You really can't rehearse a conversation with God.  He sees and hears the rehearsal.

Often, we get intimidated to pray.  We fear saying the wrong thing or not knowing what to say at all.  The truth is prayer is a conversation.  It's like you talking to your friend or parent or child or significant other.  It's a conversation, except that you're talking with the God who created you. 

Prayer allows us to talk to God, but just as important, it gives God and us quality time together.  God wants you to pray because he wants to connect with you.  He wants to hear from you.  He wants to communicate with you.

In Matthew 6:9-13, Jesus gives the disciples and his followers a model of prayer to follow.  He tells them to spend time praising God, share their needs, seek forgiveness and inquire for advice.  That, to me, sounds like hundreds of conversations I've had over my lifetime.

Prayer isn't this magical, mystical formula.  It doesn't have to be filled with "thees" and "thous" and other Christian superlatives.  It just needs to be an honest, open conversation with the God who created you.

Take some time to pray.  Spend some time with your creator.  He wants to hear from you and you need to spend some time with him.  As my former pastor used to say, "I need the prayer and you need the practice."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning