The Fast and the Furious

A few years ago, I had a major decision to make.

I had been in the newspaper business for seven years and spent the last four of those years doubling up as a local youth minister.  The double-life was taking a toll on my marriage, my family, my health and my jobs. 

I felt called to ministry, but sports writing paid the bills.  I wanted to do ministry full-time, but I also wanted to provide for my family.  Even worse, I could tell my passion for journalism had waned, and as a result, my performance wasn't what it once was.

I needed to rededicate myself to my journalistic craft, or I needed to walk away and focus on my ministry.  On paper (or the Internet) that sounds like an easy decision, but when you have a house payment, a car payment and like to eat, it's a tougher proposition.

I discussed my options with my wife.  We prayed.  We read scripture.  We talked some more.  Finally, I decided to do something I hadn't done before - I set a time for a fast.  That Friday, my wife and I fasted for 24-hours as we sought God's direction for our lives.

The hardest part was skipping the monthly work potluck.  One Friday a month, the staff brought in food and held an extended lunch period.  It always provided good food and good conversation.  This day, I had to skip it.  I even had to decline specific invites and finally tell my editor I was fasting and couldn't attend. 

That's counter to what Jesus teaches about fasting in Matthew 6:16-18.  He says, when you fast, don't make a big deal of it.  Don't draw attention to yourself.  Carry on as you normally would do.  That Friday, I didn't.  I should have attended the lunch and just chosen not to eat.  Thankfully, Jesus worked through my ignorance as I sought his direction.

After fasting for 24-hours, around 11 p.m. that night, my wife and I talked and agreed God had called me to ministry.  We made the difficult decision to resign my position at the paper and trust God to lead us.  That's an entirely different story for a later blog.

Needless to say, fasting focused me on Christ.  Through that fast, I was able to hone in and pray for God's direction, and he revealed his will to me.  Now, when faced with a big decision, I take time to fast and pray so I can hear Christ clearly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning