Reconciliation Not Retribution

I’ve always been a bit of an introvert.  Instead of verbalizing my thoughts and angers, I internalize them and share them with no one.
 
As a natural writer, my anger and shame usually manifested into something on a written page.  Sometimes it was a song.  Other times I would write a note or letter. 

During my freshman year of junior high school, it often found its way onto my folders.  I would write thoughts, song lyrics, and band names all over them.  However, in one class, I found myself writing nasty things about a teacher that I didn’t like.  Right next to my Metallica logo would be a nasty comment about this teacher.

Some of it was almost vulgar (“almost” depending on your definition of the word vulgar.)  Looking back now, I’m not very proud of what I wrote.  At the time, it was the only outlet I had to express my anger at being called upon or asked to do extra work. 

I wrote these things all semester until one day another student discovered it.  She read the comments and didn’t like them.  I should have put two and two together, but being a middle school boy, I dismissed it. The next day the teacher collected MY folder. I had been ratted out.

To make this LONG story short, I received punishment for my crime, though not as much as I deserved.  I stopped writing on folders.  At the end of that school year, at our ninth grade awards night, I received the award for that class.  You know what I got for the award?  That folder wrapped in gift paper with a note saying I should tear it up.

My teacher didn’t retaliate.  She showed mercy and restraint to a punk freshman who didn’t deserve it.  She modeled Christ’s words from the Sermon on the Mount.

In Matthew 5:38-42, Jesus tells the gathered crowd that instead of seeking revenge or retribution, you should offer to endure more punishment.  He instructed them to turn the other cheek, give them your cloak and go the extra mile.

We aren’t often slapped publicly today, but we are backhanded by judgmental comments, demeaning words and the silent treatment.  It can be tempting to fight back, hit harder and demand restitution.

Jesus says seek reconciliation.  See them as a human being.  Go the extra mile.  Give them the other cheek.  Provide them your cloak.

My freshman year, that’s exactly what that teacher did.  She turned her cheek.  She chose mercy and reconciliation over retribution.

She lived out Jesus’ words.  Will you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning