I Tithe But Don't Tell

A few years ago, someone showed me this video at a conference I attended.

I laughed because, in a lot of ways, it's realistic in a sarcastic kind of way.  The music, the speakers, even the videos are riffs on things I've seen at big churches and ministry conferences.

However, at the 1:40 mark or so in the video, the "music guy" makes a statement that makes you laugh, but upon closer inspection, makes you think.

While calling for the ushers to come down, he says your giving is "between you and God...but we're tracking it."  It's a funny line.  Until a few years ago, I didn't think much of it.  I look at it differently now.

You see, a few years ago, God convicted me of my tithing.  While reading Matthew 6:1-4, I was struck how Christ said we are to give in secret so we would seek heavenly praise instead of earthly praise.  I couldn't get past that phrase "give in secret."

I'm a bit old school.  I was taught to give in offering envelopes to make it easier to track your giving for taxes.  My parents did it.  Other adults did it.  When it was time to start tithing on my own, that's just the way you did it.

When I entered into ministry, I took a different mindset.  Mentors and other ministers told me to give as an example for the membership of the church.  Since I was on staff, those adding up contributions would look at my giving.  "Let it be an example of obedience," I was told, "Not ammunition they can use against you."

So I did for a long time.  That is, until God really spoke to me one day while reading Matthew 6.  Give in secret.  Seek the praise of God, not men.  That sure didn't sound like "be an example." 

I spent time in prayer about it.  I spoke to my wife about the conviction.  Finally, I discussed my thoughts with the pastor.  I'll never forget his response:  "If that's what you feel God has called you to do" but said in a "good luck with that" kind of tone. 

I knew there was potential for backlash, especially when the pastor, treasurer or committee person saw my tithing was nothing or very small.  As a staff person, that can be deadly.  Yet, my motivation to tithe should come from the Lord, not by the pressure to perform for men.

So, three years ago, I stopped tracking my tithe.  My wife and I no longer use offering envelopes.  We try to give cash most of the time.  Sometimes we write a check (which I'm sure gets tracked) but we don't worry about it.  I've not used tithes for tax purposes in a very long time.

I'm not saying this strategy is for everyone.  I am saying God convicted me of this decision.  He said, quite clearly in Matthew 6, to give cheerfully and in secret.  I know my tithe is motivated to give to Christ and his kingdom, not by the pressure of someone "seeing" my tithing statement.  I can give cheerfully, not guiltily.  My praise comes from him.  My condemnation of failure also comes from him.  I truly seek his praise when I give in secret.

I'm just following what God has convicted me to do from reading and studying his word.  I can't say what God wants you to do.  Only He can do that.  I am asking you to re-examine Matthew 6:1-4 and see what He says to you.

You never know where that might lead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning