Love Your Opposition

When I was younger, I didn't know how to cope with anger, betrayal, or opposition.  Instead of getting angry or dealing with awkward situations, I often shut those people completely out of my life.

Literally, I would stop speaking to them.  Not in a casual way.  No, I made a big production out of it.  I acted like they no longer existed.  I stopped greeting them, looking at them or even acknowledging them.  They could say something to me and I would just glare in their direction.  If they bagged my groceries, I would walk away.

Not my finest hour, I admit.  I was immature, naive and socially inept.  Thankfully, I grew out of that stage of my life.  Now I know how to vent, prank call and terrorize their families.  (And please, that is JUST A JOKE.)

As I matured, I realized you can't hold grudges forever.  It eats away at you and does little damage to the other person.  I no longer ignore people but try to resolve conflicts in a healthy manner.  I wish I could tell you that always works out.  Sadly, it doesn't.  There are some people who will always oppose you.

In ministry, that's a tough pill to swallow.  You try to care for people, hoping, all the while, they will see Jesus active in your life.  When they respond with hatred and gossip, it's tough to take.

Yet Jesus says I am to love my enemies.  In Matthew 5:43-48, he commands us to love those who oppose you and pray for them.  In effect, he commands us to love them like Jesus.

That's not always easy.

If your family is under attack from malicious gossip, loving the gossiper is no small task.  If someone has physically threatened you, loving that person won't come natural.  Yet, Jesus commands it.

Sometimes, we can only love with the love of Christ.  There have been times in my life where I have literally prayed "Jesus, love this person, because I cannot."  The amazing thing is he did.  He did what I could not.  Jesus is always working.

So love your enemies and pray for them.  Even if they hurt you.  Ask Jesus to love them through you.  Sometimes, that's all you can do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning