I know a murderer

I will never forget what happened on May 25, 1994.

That's the day I learned one of my classmates - a guy I had partnered with on a school project and sat next to in English class - was a murderer.

Clay Shrout got up that morning, murdered his parents and two younger sisters, took a girl hostage and held a class at gunpoint.  It made national news.  If you Google the name Clay Shrout, you can read about the entire story.  (I found this article a particulary good read.)  While researching for my message this week, I read those stories - some for the very first time - and the memories came flooding back.

Perhaps someday I'll share my thoughts on that experience.   Re-reading those stories, it surprised me how much emotion still lingers over that day and that experience.  It was a profound moment in my growth from teenager to young adult. 

However, one thing I will say is this:  I know a murderer.  I know his name, his face, his voice.  I remember just where he sat and what his contributions were to our class project.  I remember riding in his car and meeting his parents.

I know a murderer.

According to scripture, you do too.

Matthew 5:21-22, Jesus says when we call others names and put them down, it's the same as murder.  We may not physically stab them or draw blood, but we do destroy their spirit, damage their soul and ruin their self-confidence.  When we hurt others with our words, it leaves lasting repercussions.

Stick and stones may break your bones, but words WILL hurt you.  Jesus tried getting that point over in his Sermon on the Mount.  It's a point that is extremely relevant today.

We are all murderers.  We have used our words to tear down and destroy someone else.  Jesus said we are in danger of hell-fire.  I don't believe you should be tossed out and stoned for putting others down, but I do believe God judges you for it. 

It's on us to seek forgiveness for our words and make amends for the damage we've caused.  Just the same, it's on us to forgive those who hurt us, even if they never seek it out. 

Words hurt.  We can heal.  Will you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict