God is not fair

I've been reading the book The Christian Athiest by Craig Groeschel.  In the book, Groeschel examines areas where our Christian beliefs and faith don't match up to our actions.  In other words, it's believing in God, but acting like he doesn't exist.

Chapter 5 of the book is entitled:  "When You Believe in God, but You Don't Think He's Fair."  It goes on to detail people who are deeply wounded, yet God-fearing people.  He talks about the victims of cancer, sexual abuse, and even natural disasters.  What do you do when it seems like God is unfair?

In the chapter, Groeschel makes a bold statement that caused me to pause and consider his words.  On page 101, he writes, "If you're like me, when something bad happens, you often feel like your pain is unjustified.  It's just not fair.  I'm a good person.  I didn't do anything to deserve this.  There is one major problem with my defense:  I'm not good.  But the good news is that God is not fair."  (Underline emphasis mine.)

I've never stopped to consider that before:  God is not fair.  It seems so wrong.  It appears theologically opposed to God's character.  It doesn't measure up to my ideas of a loving and righteous God.

However, Groeschel goes on to explain that if God were fair, we'd all be destined for Hell.  We deserve punishment for our sin.  We deserve separation from God.  We deserve to suffer eternally.  However, Jesus came and died on a cross, TAKING our punishment.  Someone had to be punished, so Jesus took our punishment.

That is, decidedly, unfair.  No one should take my punishment for my wrong-doing.  Jesus did.  No one should be killed for what I did.  Jesus did. 

When I ponder that I reach the same conclusion Groeschel reaches:  "He is just, but he is not fair."

In Matthew 5:17-20, Jesus is making a transition in the Sermon on the Mount.  He's just concluded the Beatitudes and teaching his followers to be salt and light.  He's about to share with them that his teachings are in contrast to those of the Pharisees.  In between, he makes a transitional statement about the Law.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.  I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." Matthew 5:17-18 (NIV).

Jesus didn't come to end the Old Testament or any of God's truths.  Instead, he came to fulfill it.  The Law says death is the punishment for disobeying God.  Jesus came and took that punishment, fulfilling the law. 

When I consider that evidence and Jesus' words, I can only do one thing:  Praise God.

Praise God that he is not fair.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict