Our Advantage

A few years ago, in my personal study time, I was praying and God spoke to me. Now it wasn't an audible voice from the heavens (though that would be really cool.) Instead, while I was praying, in my mind, I got the distinct message: "Wayne, you're going to be a pastor."

At the time I was (happily) doing youth ministry. I had been doing youth ministry for over a decade. I had no desire to do anything but youth ministry. I had always been called to youth ministry. This was the first time that God changed his calling on my life.

So I prayed about it. I had my wife pray about it. I had my best friend pray about it. For six weeks, we prayed. At the end of that time, I asked each of them what God had revealed. Both said God revealed that I was going to be a pastor. He had confirmed the same thing to me.

One year later, I accepted my first pastorate.

The Holy Spirit was involved in that process. He guides us and directs us. In fact, in John 16, Jesus tells his disciples that it is to OUR ADVANTAGE that he leaves so the Holy Spirit can come. The Holy Spirit continues Jesus's ministry on earth, which includes calling people to ministry and revealing the truth of God's teachings.

The Holy Spirit not only helps us understand scripture, but he directs us how to pray. He convicts of us of sin. He provides us spiritual gifts. He's intimately involved in the salvation process as he calls sinners to repent and turn to him. I am saved because the Holy Spirit tugged on my heart.

The Holy Spirit is alive and active. His work is not in the past, but it continues on into this present world. He is leading believers and convicting of sin and helping us to connect with God in very personal ways.

The Holy Spirit works. But in order for him to work, you have to listen. But that's a topic for another blog...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict