Making tough decisions

Seven years ago, my wife and I faced a crucial decision.

We knew God was calling me into full-time ministry.  He had put that desire in my heart for over two years.  However, after two years of searching, no doors opened.

At the same time, my secular job began to complicate my ministry job.  As a reporter, I tried to get people to open up in order to expose the truth.  As a minister, I talked with students and adults, assuring them of confidentiality.  As a sports writer covering high school sports, the line often blurred, especially as I interviewed athletes in my ministry. 

I often wondered:  does this student understand that I'm a reporter right now and not his youth minister?  Does this parent know they are telling a reporter intimate details while I'm on the clock?  Can I continue to live this double-life?

After a meeting with my editor, it became clear:  I had to make a decision.  I would either have to rededicate my life to journalism - possibly eschewing my ministry - or I would have to leave the field all together for my ministry.

My journalism job paid the bills - including house and car payments - and provided benefits.  God had called me to ministry, but that job would not even come close to paying our bills.

With a lack of good options, we spent time in prayer and fasting.  We talked nightly - to each other and to God.  We spent one day fasting, trying to seek God's direction.  Eventually, the answer came.

It was very similar to the answer God gave Moses as the Israelites faced the Red Sea in Exodus 14.  He told Moses to stop talking and start acting.  What followed was one of the greatest miracles in the Old Testament - the parting of the Red Sea that secured the safety of the Israelites.

God told me, quite clearly, that I needed to quit my journalism job and trust him to take care of us.  It wasn't easy.  I'd love to tell you we had no second thoughts.  In the end, though, we knew what the right decision was.  A week later I resigned, but stayed on until my replacement was found.

As only God can do, they found my replacement the very day a church voted me in as their new full-time minister of  youth. 

With a lack of good options, God drove me to my knees.  He did the same for the Israelites.  He'll do the same for you. 

When all seems lost, quiet your mind and seek the Lord.  He will never steer you wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict