God wants to provide

When I was in the newspaper business, I had big aspirations.  I dreamed of writing for a big, daily newspaper, perhaps covering Major League Baseball or the NFL.  A headhunter even approached me once about moving on to a small daily after I won some writing words.  I didn't take him up on the offer.

One day, though, I did build up the courage to apply for the Cincinnati Enquirer.  The sports department was seeking a new reporter handling some college and pro sports assignments.  That's what I wanted to do, so I applied. 

In Hollywood, this story would end with me getting the job and becoming a major newspaper reporter, perhaps breaking a big story.  This isn't Hollywood.  I didn't get the job.  I'm not even sure if I got a polite rejection letter. 

I never moved on to another newspaper, though several of my colleagues did.  To be honest, I never really applied.  By the end of my run, I knew God had called me to ministry, not reporting, and my resumes went out to churches not major metropolitan daily newspapers.

I have never regretted that decision.

God always has a plan.  Part of the plan is to provide for us and bless us.  To do that, he tells us to ask, seek and knock.  Ask and it will be given.  Seek and you will find.  Knock and the door will be opened to you.  Those are not just words found in Matthew 7:7-8, but are a road map to Godly success.

Jesus isn't saying you'll get whatever you ask for.  He's saying God wants to provide for you on life's journey.  If you ask his will, he'll provide it.  If you seek his direction, he'll give it.  If you knock on the door of his opportunities, he will let you in.  God wants what's best for you and he delights in giving it to you.

The truth is what's best for us is not always what we want.  That's why God sometimes chooses to answer our prayer with a "No."  He wants us to ask, seek and knock according to his will and his direction so he can provide us good things.

You see, God is good.  That means he only gives good things.  He's not going to give you something evil or harmful.  Everything he gives you serves a purpose in bringing you closer to him, if you ask in his will and follow his commands. 

So ask, seek, knock and thank God that he only gives good things. 

Yes, I could have been a major sports writing superstar.  That wasn't his will.  Instead, I get to minister to teenagers and parents and people in need.  I think that's much better.

God not giving me my dream job was a blessing and it was good.  Praise God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict