God is in control of tragedy

What happened in Boston on Monday is beyond words.

Children were maimed and killed.  Innocent people - some with their families enjoying a pleasant day together - were grievously injured by an evil person or people for no good reason.

Several emotions stem from this senseless violence.  Anger, frustration, sympathy.  But not fear.  I am not afraid.  Here's why:

GOD IS IN CONTROL.

I believe that God is in control of all things.  Why else would I pray for people?  Why else would I seek God's direction for my life?  I do it because I believe God is in control of all things.  He's in control of the weather.  He's in control of illness.  Yes, God is even in control of terrorist activities.

Am I saying God caused it?  No.  But he allowed it to happen.  Why?  I don't know.  Here is what I do know.

Nothing happens that surprises God.  God knew exactly what was going to happen.  He knew the names of the people hurt and killed.  He felt compassion for their families long before that bomb exploded.  He was already working to place emergency workers in just the right place to save lives. 

God is in control.

That, to me, brings comfort.  You see, God is good.  What he provides and allows is ultimately for our good, even if we can't see it.  God sees what we can't.  He knows what we don't.  He is unique in that he sees and knows everything, including the future.

That means I trust him, even when I don't understand his purpose or plan or the senseless violence I read about or see.  I trust God because I know he is in control.  I know the end of the story.  I know good does win over evil

How do I know this?  God is in control.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict