What happened to Christian music?

Undoubtedly you've heard that Icthus, the largest and oldest Christian music festival in America (and located in Kentucky), closed up shop.  Economic pressure caused the cancellation and closing of the festival after over two decades of operation.

I never took a youth group to Icthus, but I know it has impacted many churches around the country.  It was a staple for years on the Christian music scene.  Often called the "Christian Woodstock," the biggest names in Christian music (and the biggest speakers) made regular stops in Ausbury, Ky. each summer for Icthus.

In recent years, attendance has been declining.  Finally, last week, they announced Icthus would close down for good.  There will be no festival in 2013.

How did this happen?  Allow me to ponder.

Six year ago, while serving in Northern Kentucky, we regularly took our students to Christian concerts. TobyMac, Third Day, Casting Crowns and MercyMe were all concerts our students attended.  We usually went to two or three a year and never had trouble finding students wanting to attend.

About five years ago, that changed.  I began serving in Eastern Kentucky, but I noticed something:  students didn't listen to Christian music.  They didn't know the bands and they didn't care to learn them.  I chalked it up to regional differences.  This new area had no Christian radio stations. 

I now believe I was wrong. 

Over the past year, I've begun serving in Western Kentucky.  You know what I've found?  My students don't listen to Christian music.  We have Christian radio.  We play the songs in youth.  Beyond one or two, no one cares. 

Within the past year, I scheduled our students to attend a Newsboys concert in our town.  I found two students willing to attend.

I don't believe the decline in Christian music is regional.  I believe it is cultural and generational.  I find most people who listen to Christian music are my age and older.  Current students, at least by my experience, just aren't into Christian music.

What has to change?  I don't know.  I just know that what is currently on the market is not registering with students.  I thought I was unique, but seeing festivals close up shop tells me I'm not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict