Facing persecution

In 10th grade, I took on authority.

The National Day of Prayer was coming up.  I wanted to lead students in a prayer around the flagpole.  I was told "no."

My principal called me into the office.  He gave me all the reasons they couldn't allow this sort of thing.  Then, he told me something that scared me.  If I went out of the building and gathered around the flagpole, I could be suspended from school.

It was probably a threat, but for a naive sophomore, it scared me.  I wasn't a troublemaker.  I didn't get disciplined very often.  I didn't want to be suspended.

After talking with some adult leaders in my church, I made the decision to go anyway.  I remember sitting in the cafeteria until 7:55 a.m., and then marching out to the flagpole.  Amazingly, without being able to announce it over the intercom or hang up posters (and I'm old enough that this was pre-Internet), other students joined me.  All total, about 30-40 students came out and prayed for our school and community.

No teacher stopped us.  No principal came out to admonish us.  No one was suspended or even given detention.  In fact, several teachers privately told me later they supported my decision and were told not to join us at the flagpole by the school administration.

That was my first lesson in being persecuted.

I don't think anyone wanted to discourage prayer.  I believe they were afraid of legal ramifications.  However, I felt persecuted for my desire to pray around a flagpole.  I feared suspension.

Jesus said in Matthew 5:10-12 that blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness.  When people oppose us for being like Jesus, he calls us blessed.

Why?  Because it means we're God's children.  As God's children, we inherit the kingdom of God.  That is the greatest blessing of all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict