God is present in the tough times

What a difference a year makes!

I looked back through my prayer journal this morning to what I wrote a year ago.  I noticed the entry for March 10 indicated it was a hard morning.  That's the morning I learned things weren't going to go the way I had planned.

Just a few days prior, my pastor had informed me he was retiring from the church.  He had been offered a position to be a chaplain at the hospital (which he is VERY good at), and he was announcing his decision the following Sunday.  At the same time, I had been in talks with a church and it was going really well, or so I thought.  The plan was for me to announce my resignation the following Sunday.

March 10 was the date the church called and informed me that while I thought everything had gone well (and they agreed my visit went well), they had some reservations about my fit with the church.  They were no longer going to pursue me as a candidate.  (To this date, the church has not hired a youth minister.)

I was devastated to say the least.  We had mentally begun to prepare for our exit.  Now, suddenly, I was preparing to take over an interim role as pastor and youth pastor.  More sermons, more hospital visits, more meetings and still all of the same responsibilities with the youth ministry as before.  I was overwhelmed, frantic and questioning whether I should continue.

Later that day, a friend and mentor called me at the Holy Spirit's nudging and encouraged me.  Another friend reassured my calling.  My current (and soon-to-be retiring pastor) affirmed me and my calling.  I read scripture and it comforted me. 

I was the exact same experience as Psalm 23.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death (tough times in life), I will fear no evil for you are with me.  I sensed God's presence.  I knew his nudge on my heart to stick with things.  I felt his hand on my back assuring me He had a plan and it would all work out.

Two weeks later, I got a message from Gracey West Union Baptist in Gracey, Ky, asking if I was still interested in the youth position at their church.  The rest is history.

Now, a year later, I've been at Gracey for six months and love it.  I get to minister to some amazing students and parents.  My gifts fit in well with the church and it's leadership.  We're in western Kentucky near Sara's mother.  Things have worked out, just like God promised they would.

We have to rely upon God to guide our paths, even when they go through the shadow of the valley of death.  He reassures us in the midst of hard times.  That's what David was writing about in Psalm 23 - his trust in God and his guidance.

Trust in God.  Let him guide your paths.  Feel his presence in the tough times.  Know that HE is with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict