Don't covet

When I was younger, I was always jealous of the other kids.

While they would play with Nintendos, I would be stuck with an old Atari.  Later when they had Super Nintendos, I had the regular NES.  I never had the newest games, even when I had the latest consoles.

Eventually that changed as my family got into better financial situations as I grew older, but I always remember being behind in the technology game.  Perhaps that's why, now, as an adult, I tend to keep up with the technological trends of the day.  I have an iPhone and a XBOX 360.  (Sadly, I still don't have the newest games, but that has more to do with my being a cheapskate more than anything.)

It's so easy to get jealous of what we don't have.  We're always told on television that we need to have the next, best, biggest thing there is or we'll be left behind.  And no one likes to be left behind.  We all want to be in the loop.

So we get jealous.  Of a new phone or tablet.  Of a new car someone down the street owns.  Of a new computer or a faster internet connection.  Of going out to eat when we eat leftovers all the time.

God warns us about this in the Ten Commandments. Exodus 20:17 gives us the final commandment to not covet our neighbors stuff.  God takes our thoughts seriously, and he wants us to be satisified with what he has provided.

In Matthew 6:25-26, Jesus said God provides for all of nature.  He also provides for us.  When we covet, we want something God has not given us.  I'm not sure God is too thrilled when we aren't appreciative of what he has so richly provided us.

So before your mind drifts to what you don't have that someone else does, remember, God has provided for your needs.  He is taking care of you.  And, he doesn't want you to covet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict