Be the Messenger at Christmas

It might sound weird, but for me, Christmas is a witnessing opportunity.

I'm not talking about saying "Merry Christmas" at Wal-mart when they say "Happy Holidays."  I mean our Christmas celebrations are witnessing opportunities.

When we visit family for Christmas, I know many of our family members don't have relationships with Christ.  I know that if they died today, they would spend etertnity in hell.  I have lost family members.  So does Sara.

It's not something we like to talk about, but if we're honest, I'd say you have several lost family members as well.  We all know someone in our family who does not have a genuine relationship with Jesus Christ.  If this is the last Christmas we see them on earth, it could be the last Christmas we see them EVER.

That's why, for me and my family, Christmas is just as much a mission field as it is a family holiday gathering.  I'm keenly aware that while at Christmas dinner or unwrapping Christmas presents that I'm in the presence of non-believers who need to hear the message of Jesus and his love and offer of salvation.

Does that mean I go into dinner with both guns blazing and ready for Bible thumping?  No, of course not.  But it does mean that while visiting, I try to season my speach with the salt of Christ and seek opportunities to share the true meaning of Christmas.

What is the true meaning of Christmas?  That God gave up the glorious, perfect environment of heaven, to be born in a filthy barn and live amoung humans in a world cursed with disease, sin and death.  That Jesus came to Earth to be hated, abused, ridiculed and killed, all for being just and fair and right.

That's how much God loves you and me.  He took our place.  He took our punishment.  He endured the human experience.  He gave it all, so that we could have a restored relationship with God.

As Linus would say, "That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."

This Christmas I encourage you to find someone in your family that NEEDS to hear the true message of Christmas.  I want you to be the shepherds in the field, who heard the message of Jesus' birth and then told everyone they knew.

Be God's messenger.  Take his message to your families and your Christmas celebration.  Give the greatest present of all. One that won't expire or rust or become obsolete.  One that will go on...FOREVER.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict