Fasting Is a Lost Art

Fasting is a lost art in Christianity.

For whatever reason, I just don't hear many messages on fasting.  I don't see a lot of pastors advocate it from the pulpit.  I don't see a lot of believers make it part of their lives.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I don't think we should fast all the time.  It would lose meaning if we did.  But when I look back over scripture, in both the Old and New Testaments, I see fasting before major decisions and events in the lives of believers.

Israel entered into national fasts at times of grieving or when an enemy was at the gates.  The early church leaders prayed and fasted before making major decisions, like sending Paul and Barnabas as missionaries. 

Yet today, fasting has become a lost discipline in the Christian faith.  I had never heard of a fast until I got to college.  I didn't engage in my first fast until years later.  I was simply taught to read scripture and pray. 

Both scripture reading and prayer are essential, and you can't fast without scripture and prayer, but I've found in my life, sometimes that's not enough.  Sometimes I need to get away from the norm and fast so I can spend more focused time with Jesus and seek his will.

Jesus says in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 6:16-18) that fasting, like prayer and giving, is about Him.  It's not about what we can or cannot do.  It's not about our will power to not eat.  It's about growing closer to Jesus and seeking his will.

When was the last time you fasted?  It's not as hard as you think.  And it doesn't have to be food.  I know many people who engage in media fasts - where they give up TV, Facebook and/or texting for a few days or even a week.  It's not impossible and you'd be surprised how close you grow with Jesus as a result.

We don't take a lot of time to listen to God anymore.  We're always busy, but fasting gives you clarity and forces you to take time to listen.  So let me encourage you to fast - whether it's for a big decision you're facing or in preparation of a Holy day of celebration - so you can hear God clearly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict