Waiting Can Be Tough

Patience is not one of my strong suits. 

You can ask my wife.  She'll tell you I'm not a very patient person.  Maybe it's the fast food society I grew up in where everything was instant and easy access.  Maybe I just don't like to wait.

Either way, I'm not a patient person.

Right now, we're potty training my two-year-old daughter.  She's doing rather well, but often times I'm not patient enough.  She'll sit on her potty, and after a minute or two, I'm ready to go.  My wife tells me to wait and let her take her time.  (She's right of course.)  After a few minutes more, sometimes my daughter will then use the potty.  Patience, in those cases, works out.

But God calls us to patiently wait on him.

Starting in Genesis 6, we see the story of Noah.  God called him to build an ark to save his family, the animals and all of humanity.  It took Noah 120 years to build the ark to God's specifications.  All this time, it didn't rain.  He built the ark in the middle of a land mass.  There was no water of note around for miles and yet he built and built and built.  I'm sure he was ridiculed.  I'm sure it wasn't easy.

But he did as God asked and waited for God to make good on his promise.  He waited for 120 years.  Then he finished the ark, got in and God shut the door.  It rained non-stop for the next 40 days. 

God promised Noah he'd flood the earth.  God did just that.  It just took 120 years for that promise to come true.

God doesn't always call us to move right now.  Sometime he calls us to be obedient and wait on him.  Sometimes he calls us to wait for years for his will to be done.

The question becomes are you willing to wait on God?  I know that's tough in our instant access society.  But sometimes God wants you to wait for his promise to come true.

As Tom Petty says, "The waiting is the hardest part."  Yet, for God, it can be the most important.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict