In Paradise

One of my favorite memories as my time as a newspaper reporter was covering the Billy Graham Crusade in Cincinnati. It was one of Graham's last crusades (He did one more in Texas after that) and right up until the event, it was questionable if he could physically preach the services. But he did and it was a powerful experience.

I went all four nights of that crusade. I went two nights as a reporter, covering the event, taking pictures, interviewing folks, and attending press conferences. I went two nights as a volunteer, having attended the evangelism training courses to help lead people to a relationship with Jesus Christ. It was an amazing experience.

As I heard to the news of Graham's passing this week, I've been thinking about that week and the events that led up to it. It was a unique experience and I was privileged to be part of it. I was a part-time youth minister at the time. I worked full time for the paper. It was one of the few times in my career when my two chosen professions collided. I met so many interesting people and witnessed 100s, if not 1,000s, of souls being saved.

As Graham died this week, I was reminded of Jesus's words to the thief on the cross: "Today, you will be with me in paradise." Paradise, in the New Testament, always referred to heaven. It is like the Garden of Eden where believers have intimate access to God. Its a perfect place devoid of pain and sin. Graham is there now.

He's not there because he's a powerful preacher. He's not there for the work that he did. He is there because of the relationship he had with Jesus. Just like the thief, he did not earn his salvation, it was granted freely.

God never makes you earn your way to heaven. You can't. There is nothing you can do that will ever earn you a spot in Paradise. It can only be given because of the death of Jesus on the cross. You have to take his atonement and have a relationship with him.

Billy Graham knew that and he knew him. Today, he is with Jesus in Paradise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict