Sharing Joy

As a minister, I keep two mental lists.

In one list, I think of all the people I have let down. These are people who didn't follow Christ or who walked away from the faith. These are people, when I see their social media posts or get a communication from them, and I see their life heading in a negative direction, I just shake my head. I wonder what I could have done better. Where did I fail?

The other list, though, is much brighter. These are the people who are strong in their faith. Despite cultural oppositions and finacial struggles and illness and life itself, they have maintained a strong faith in Christ. I see it in the way they live life and how they speak of others. I still speak fondly of them and eagerly consume their social media feeds. It does my heart good to see them serve Christ as adults and parents. When I remember them, I remember them with joy.

In Philippians 1:3-11, Paul communicates the same thing about the church of Philippi. He remembers the church members fondly and with joy. He has seen their humble beginnings and their consistent walk with Christ. He knows God will complete that work in their lives.

That gives him joy.

Many of my former students and parishioners give me joy. I have joy in their successes and I take joy in how they endure defeat. I remember them fondly and excitedly anticipate more news of their life and faith journey. I think of Lee, Beth, Andrew, Travis, Caitlin, Dylan, Stacey, and so so many others that remain focused on Christ and serve him. It brings me joy and helps me on my own faith journey.

If you're reading this, know that if you follow Christ and have been under my ministry, you bring me joy. Not happiness, but joy. There is a difference. Joy is lasting. Happiness is temporary. I have a lasting joy over you.

As Christians we are to have joy in our salvation. We are to share joy with others. We are to point others to the joy that comes only in knowing Jesus Christ. Joy lasts forever.

I hope I have shared some joy with you today. I hope you will share that joy with others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

God Uses Conflict

Time for an examination