Your Salvation Isn't Determined by Your Vote

"I can't believe your voting for Trump. If you vote for him, I have to seriously question your Christianity."

"I would never vote for Hillary. I don't see how anyone who claims to be a Christian could seriously vote for her."

The previous two statements are similar to things I have seen on social media the last few weeks and months. The statements aren't word for word quotes, but are pretty close to it. I believe they convey the messages I've read over the past few weeks.

When I read them, I have to shake my head. It's almost as if Christians, on both sides of the political spectrum, are trying to guilt and shame each other to support their candidate. They'll even question the authenticity of someone's salvation based upon their intentions to vote for a particular candidate.

And really, this needs to stop. NOW!

When did your voting decisions reflect your status as a Christian? When did politics mean more than a dedication to Christ? When did your voting record equate to the presence of your name in the Lamb's Book of Life?

I'm so tired of reading blogs and social media posts - ON BOTH SIDES - that "question" your Christianity based upon who you support for president. I've read the Bible many times over. Nowhere did I see voting record as a prerequisite for salvation. I never read anything about candidate support being proof of a person's salvation. I never read anything about party affiliation determining salvific status.

Instead, I see James telling us that works without faith is dead, saying our works REFLECT our status in Christ. I see Paul tell us that we are saved BY GRACE through Christ. I see John write that if we love Jesus, then we'll obey his commands. And I see Jesus himself saying that HE ALONE is the way, the truth and the life and that there are no other means (INCLUDING POLITICAL) by which a person can attain heaven.

So can we just stop with the salvation and Christianity card in our political posts and rants. It doesn't do anyone any good, particularly Christianity and Christ. When we say those things carelessly, it makes an unbelieving world question faith in Christ even more.

In fact, I'm currently working on a paper for my seminary class based upon John 17:20-23. In this passage, Jesus prays for the unity of his followers. He doesn't just pray for his immediate disciples. He also prays for all the followers who will come after them. That's you and me. Jesus prayed for us specifically, and he prayed that we would unified in order to spread the Gospel of Jesus.

So I am saddened when I see believers so divided. I'm saddened when we equate politics to theology and try to make political solutions Godly ones. Does God have a person in mind to lead this country? Absolutely. Does he expect us to pray over our vote? You bet. Should we listen and do that? Without a doubt. If we vote for the other candidate are we losing our salvation? Absolutely not.

Our faith in Christ is based upon his grace and our surrender. Voting records have no say.

So support your candidate. Campaign even. Make your opinion known. But stop questioning salvation. It not only hurts your arguments, but it also exposes poor theology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict