Picking the Right Weapon



Sometimes, we can get distracted by good things.

A few years ago, I was at a Christian bookstore waiting in the check-out line to make a purchase. The lady in front of me was buying some Christian book and I overheard her conversation with the cashier.  It went something like this:

“I just love this book series.  It’s helped me so much.  I probably shouldn't admit this, but I read this more than I read my Bible.  It’s got so many good scriptures in it, it’s just like reading my Bible.”

Then she paid and walked off, with the cashier smiling politely and happy to make a sale.

It left he shaking my head.   No book or book series, no matter how many times it quotes the Bible, is EVER a substitute for God’s word.  Neither will a good commentary or study notes from a study Bible.  Christian books are filled with really good life application and have a lot of godly wisdom, but they ARE NOT THE INSPIRED WORD OF GOD.  Commentaries and study Bibles are full of great wisdom and truth, but they ARE NOT THE INSPIRED WORD OF GOD.  

Paul is clear in Ephesians 6 when he writes about the Armor of God.  The Bible is the only spiritual weapon we have or need from the Lord.  Nothing else will help us in the spiritual battles we face.  No other book will drive back Satan or the minions of darkness.  The Bible is the only one.

The woman at the Christians bookstore will fail many spiritual battles because she is choosing an inferior weapon.  Only God’s word will work in our fight against Satan and his minions. We must be careful to trust only in the Bible as our weapon of choice.  Too often we rely upon good things that are not inspired to fight our spiritual battles.

So know your Bible, read it and apply it.  It is the only way you can take the fight to the enemy.  In order to win the fight, you have to pick the right weapon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict