Practice Makes Perfect

As a soccer coach of five-year-olds, practices can some times be rough.

Frustrating might be a better word.

A lot of times the players don't listen.  They're playing tag or hugging or picking weeds.  Distractions capture their attention.  A helicopter or plane flies over head and every eye darts skyward.  A loud motorcycle or a police car with sirens blaring forces their gaze toward the highway and away from the goal.  One child heads to the bathroom and soon two more need to go as well.

It takes a lot of patience to teach U5 soccer.  It also requires a lot of examples.  I learned this the hard way at my last practice.

To be honest, I struggle as a coach.  I never played soccer.  I'm just a dad who likes spending time with his daughter and giving back.  So when I see other teams using more advanced techniques--like passing and defense--I try to emulate those things in practice.  I want our kids to compete and learn.

So, this past week, I tried a couple of passing drills.  I didn't show them.  I just explained it.  Needless to say, it did not go well.  Instead of passing, the two children worked against each other.  They didn't try to score a goal as a team, but tried to gain personal glory by putting the ball in the goal themselves.  (Which is precisely the thing I'm trying to end.)

After a few tries, I realized my folly.  They never saw it done so they can't do the same thing.  With young kids they need to see a new drill.  They need to view how it should be done.  By just explaining, the children were lost.  It's no wonder the drill fell flat.

Jesus understood that.  He also knew that adults are much the same way.  So in John 13, we see Jesus give the example of serving.  He knelt down, grabbed a towel and began to wash his disciples dirty and road-worn feet.  This was the job of a servant.  Jesus, God's son, was doing it.  He became the servant.

Afterward, he had a message for his disciples:  Do what you just saw me do.  As followers of Christ, we are to emulate Jesus.  He served in a humbling way, then he asks us to do the same.  We are to serve one another so that Jesus can be glorified.

As we go about our daily lives, we must intentionally serve others.  It doesn't happen by accident.  It takes a plan.  It takes us living it out.  By doing so we help others, but we also give an example for others to follow.  By following Jesus, we lead others to follow him as well.

So grab a towel and some dirty feet and get to work.  Jesus has a job for you to do.  He expects you to serve others.

Now go and do likewise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict