God provides snow days

I love snowstorms.

Yes, I'm the guy you revels in a good, snowy forecast.  I love to look out at the landscape and see nothing but pristine white powder covering everything and anything in sight.  I love snow.

Here's why.  Snow brings us together.  We don't rush off to a movie or the store or a soccer game.  We aren't in a hurry to get out on the roads.  We, as families, are trapped inside our homes for an indefinite period of time.

Snow has a way to force us to spend time together as a family - talking, watching TV or playing games.  It's God's way of focusing us on each other and taking some of the frantic hustle and bustle out of life. 

I was reminded of that on Monday.  After a big storm hit my town, my wife, a teacher, didn't have school.  My daughter's day care was closed.  I had no good reason to brave the roads to head into the office.  For once, as a family, we sat at home.  We played and talked and enjoyed being a family. 

We didn't have to rush off to dance class or soccer practice.  No one had a late meeting at work or a committee meeting at church.  Heading out for a bite to eat simply wasn't an option.

For a change, we had to stay home and enjoy being a family.  It was nice.

Too often in our culture, we're rushing off to do a hundred different things.  We are so involved in so many things.  Clubs, sports, schools, extra-curricular activities, social engagements.  The list goes on and on. 

So, for a change, it was nice to enjoy being home with my family.  Snow days are like God enforced Sabbaths.  He gave us Sabbath to rest, but we often ignore that commandment and fill our "off-days" with activities.  Every once in a while we need a rest.  So God provided snow days.

That's how I like to look at it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning