God's Dreams Always Work Out Better

When I was young, I wanted to be the lead announcer for Monday Night Football.

Most kids dream of playing in the big game, winning the Super Bowl or hitting a grand slam in the World Series.  Not me.  I knew I didn't have the athletic talent to do those things.  I figured, if I can't win the big game, why not announce it.

So, as a young kid, even as I started down the path to print journalism, I envisioned a day where I would sit in the booth and announce Monday Night Football.  To me, that was the greatest gig on television.  You got paid to talk about a football game.

Alas, this dream never came to pass.  I entered the world of journalism.  As I sat in a broadcasting class one day, I watched a video about the production of Monday Night Football.  The analyst spoke on camera.  I'll never forget his words.  "This is a not a vocation, it's a life choice.  For six months a year, I am on the road six days a week for Monday Night Football."

That day I decided a Monday Night Football career-path was not in my plans.  I was not willing to give up my personal life and family for a television job.  Print journalism would be just fine for me.

Little did I know God had other plans.  After four years of being a reporter, God called me to ministry.  Four years later he called me to leave behind the newspaper business and enter into full-time ministry.  I've been there ever since.

God's dreams were different than mine, and that's OK.  Things have worked out better than I imagined.

Joseph had dreams too.  In Genesis 37, he dreamed he would lead his family.  His father favored and trusted him.  His brothers despised him.  It all led to a hostile takeover by the family that saw Joseph's dreams shattered.  Or so he thought.

Joseph was sold into slavery, but it saved his life.  That life would save other lives, including his family.  Those dreams would come true, but in God's timing.  God's dreams were better than Joseph could imagine.

God has big dreams for you.  He wants to do great things in your life.  Will you let him have control of your dreams? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning