Asking God Why?

When I was a kid, we had a dog chained up
in the backyard.

Now, like most dogs, he loved to chase after cars.  Since he was on a chain, he never got too close, but that didn't stop him from running back and forth after each car that drove past our house.  And trust me, we lived on a very busy road.

One day while I was in the backyard petting him, a flow of traffic zoomed by.  He ran off barking and his chain caught my leg, tripping me to my knees.  Another car roared by going the opposite way, and he followed suit.  Then another car zipped by going the other way.  Similar pattern.  In the process, the chain wrapped around my throat.  When the next car whizzed by, I began to be strangled.

So far, that is the scariest moment of my life.  My life literally passed before my eyes (as brief as it was) while I used my remaining breath to beg my little brother for help.  Assistance did arrive (otherwise I wouldn't be typing this post) but for a few minutes, I was sure that would be my dying day.

In 1 Kings 17:17-24, we see the dying day of the widow's son.  He grew sicker and sicker until he died.  When he did, both the widow and Elijah had questions for God.  They wanted to know why?

I believe that's our natural reaction to pain and tragedy.  We want to know why God allowed this pain into our lives.  We wonder if we're being punished or if somehow God is mad at us.  That's natural and human.  But it's not always correct.

Does God sometimes use pain and tragedy as punishment?  Sure he does.  Does he always use it?  Of course not.  Sometimes pain is the natural consequences of our actions.  (If you drive too fast you get a ticket.  If you smoke, you can develop lung cancer.)  Sometimes pain is the result of being tested.  (See Job.)  Sometimes Satan is the cause of our pain. 

When the pain comes, we want to know why.  I think God understands that.  He never rebukes the woman or Elijah in 1 Kings 17.  In fact, he heard and answered Elijah's prayer. 

God allows us to ask why.  That's one of the great things about God.  He wants us to explore our faith and to know more about him. 

Now, be careful not to accuse God.  That drifts into sinful territory.  But an honest question seeking an honest answer is not frowned upon by the Lord.  He welcomes the dialogue.  In fact, he want to speak with you right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict