God is with you

In my job, I see lots of pain.

I see children hurt by the pain of divorce.  I witness students struggling with parental relationships.  I comfort students who have broken up with a boyfriend or a girlfriend.  I console someone in the death of a loved one.

Pain and suffering are very real.  Even believers in Jesus feel pain and suffering, often in great amounts.  However, as believers in Jesus, we rely upon the strength of Christ to get us through the dark, lonely and tough times.  I don't understand how people deal with pain without the presence of Jesus.

Buddhists are very different.  Buddhism believes pain and suffering come from desires.  In order to end suffering, a Buddhist seeks to find an existence without desire.  When they finally find this peace, they no longer reincarnate but cease to exist. 

Jesus teaches a very different solution.  He tells his followers pain won't decrease.  In fact, he tells them to expect suffering for following him.  He also promises to be with them in the pain and the suffering and that one day, in heaven, there will be no more tears or sorrows or pain.

Buddhists don't believe in a god.  In the end, they teach we, as human beings, are all on our own.  Jesus teaches that he will never leave us or forsake us.

In the end, it's a philosophical question:  do you believe in a loving God would wants to take care of you or do you believe that ultimately, we are on our own? 

I believe in Jesus.  I believe he loves me and accepts me for who I am because that's how he made me.  Sin can cause problems, but nothing can separate me from the love of Jesus Christ. 

Not even suffering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict