Why I'm Concerned about America

As an American and a believer in Christ, I'm concerned for my country.

Election results in Colorado, Washington, Maryland and Maine have given me pause when I see the American landscape.  For the first time I can remember, I am truly not proud of parts of my country.  In fact, I'm frightened.

In Colorado and Washington, voters approved the legalization of marijuana.  Let that sink in.  In Colorado and Washington, you will see be allowed to legally obtain an illegal drug (according to the federal government).  Forget the war on drugs, Colorado and Washington voters decided to wave the white flag and surrender.

In Maryland and Maine, voters approved same-sex marriage.  It was the first time a popular vote ballot initiative on same-sex marriage has passed in this country. 

These four election results scare me.  When a country is void of morals and values anything goes.  When we erode core family values, it opens the floodgates to all sorts of issues and problems. 

What's next?  Should we legalize crack cocaine?  What about heroine? Before you say that's ridiculous, I thought the same thing about legalizing marijuana.  Once you open the door for one drug, it's not long before it's open for others.  Why should marijuana be singled out?  There's a lot of money to be made selling narcotics.

Don't think the gay marriage issue is immune to this slippery slope either.  How long before Pedophiles want to claim equal rights because they were "born that way?"  How long before they want equal marriage protection to marry children?  What about bigamists?  What's to stop them from wanting to marry three and four wives?  When you make one allowance, it's not long before new ones crop up.

I'm genuinely scared for my country right now.  We're caving in on basic, moral, Godly values.  That never ends well.

In fact, it reminds me of Romans 1:21-32.

Read that passage closely.  It says men chose to worship the things of men.  They chose their desires over God's desires.  God allowed them to pursue that to it's natural course.  As a result, they are far from God and lost in their own sinful desires.

The results of the election yesterday reminds me that God will take his hand off of us if we insist on doing things our way.  He will let our sinful desires consume us.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear yesterday's results are only the tip of the iceberg. 

Frankly, that frightens me.

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning