The worst kind of famine

I've never experienced a true famine.

I've participated in the 30-Hour famine numerous times.  I've fasted on many occasions.  However, I've never wanted for food simply because it wasn't available. I've never been more than a trip to the fridge or a drive to Walmart away from food to eat.

I understand famine can have devastating effects.  I've seen the infomercials asking for donations to feed the hungry and care for the starving.  I know how extreme drought can ruin farmers and their families.  I don't take famine lightly.

There is, however, a famine worse than no rain or insect infestation.

"'The days are coming,' declares the Sovereign LORD, 'when I will send a famine through the land-- not a famine of food or a thirst for water, but a famine of hearing the words of the LORD.'" - Amos 8:11

God declared that people would not hear the words of the Lord.  He would be silent.  They would seek after his counsel and wisdom and not find it.

Silence can be deafening.  People have gone insane due to extreme isolation.  Marriages ends when couples stop communicating.  Estranged children do not speak to their parents. 

Yet, God predicted, through the prophet Amos, that he would send a famine of His word.

I pray that never becomes the case in my life or in the life of my country.  We can survive national calamities.  We can endure personal hardships.  We can make due in lean times when it comes to food and water and health-related issues.

We can not do without the word of the Lord.  Without his divine protection, his comfort, his presence, and his love we would be lost and directionless.  I do not want to live in a place experiencing a God-famine. 

Personally, in my life, I seek his word daily.  I seek to talk with him and know his thoughts.  I pray everyday he will reveal himself to me.  If he did not, I would have a lonely existence.

It's on us, as citizens of heaven, to seek out his word and to spend time in his presence.  We need at outpouring of his word in our lives so we can live more fully in His presence. 

I can live without food, at least for a while.  I can not live with out the presence my Lord, Jesus Christ.  May I and we never experience such a famine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict