Be a Fool for Christ

It's not always being the new kid in town. 

I would know.  As a child, my family moved around a lot.  I attended five different schools, and never one school more than three years.  As a result, I was always starting over and trying to belong.

When we moved to a house just before my eighth grade year, I found myself starting over again.  After living for a couple of years in an apartment complex, I now resided in a neighborhood.  It was the first time I can remember ever living in a neighborhood.

I soon met some of the neighborhood boys and was invited to play baseball.  I met at some guys house, went to his backyard and began to play ball with about 15 other guys.  It was a lot of fun until the neighborhood bully decided to make me a target.

He subtly gouged me through the afternoon, and finally, as I rounded the bases after a big hit, he tripped me.  Angry, I pushed him to the ground.  I wasn't looking for a fight, but I was tired of being pushed around.

He retaliated by reaching into his pocket, pulling out a combination lock, rapping it around his knuckles as a weapon and attempted to hit me with it.  Then his friends joined in holding me down and terrorizing me.

It was not my finest hour.  He never hit me with the lock, but just the threat scared me. 

For the next four years, he specifically targeted me in the neighborhood.  Everyday he sat outside my house with his goons daring me to leave the house.  His very presence taunted me as I remained inside, a prisoner of my fear.

I imagine that's what the Israelites felt like when they encountered Goliath.  Every day he came out and taunted them with huge weapons, an imposing physique and unmatched bravado.  The Israelites, much like I did, cowered in fear of this behemoth.  He dared them to come out of the camp and take him on.

For 40 days he did this with no takers.  That was until a ruddy and handsome man named David decided to answer the challenge.  Most, including King Saul, considered him foolish.  Instead, God won a victory that day using just a boy, a sling and a stone.

Foolish people are those who cower in fear of what might happen.  Brave people go out and take on the day knowing Jesus is ultimately in charge of all things.

Jesus often challenges us to do foolish things for him.  That might be standing up for what's fair, even when everyone else doesn't agree.  It could include sharing your faith in a hostile environment.  It might be taking on a problem everyone else is afraid to solve.

Don't be afraid of the fight.  Instead, be foolish for Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning