OMG, It's a Big Deal

Have you ever stopped to think about how awesome God's name is?

Scripture says that at the name of Jesus, demons tremble.  We pray, and we end by praying in the power of Jesus' name.  When we are in trouble or crisis or in a panic, we will call upon the name of the Lord.

The Lord's name is powerful and meaningful.  It is full of hope and comfort.  It has the ability to comfort and convict.  No other name evokes a reaction like God's.

Yet, we are so casual with his name.  We use it when we're surprised.  "Oh my God," we'll say.  We say it when we're upset or mad.  "Jesus Christ," we'll exclaim, but not in an act of worship.  We even use it as a curse.

God is firm in his word in Exodus 20:7.  "You shall not misuse the name of the Lord, your God."  That means we are to uplift his name.  We are to worship his name.  We are to magnify his name.

We are not to make it common or meaningless or devalued.  We do that when we use it as a surprised expression or in announcing our disdain for something or someone.

I don't know about you, but I do not want to make God's name common.  I don't want to devalue the name of my Lord, my comforter, my healer and my savior.

It's so easy to do.  Everyone does it.  It can just become second nature to us.  But, it's on us to be mindful of our words, our texts and our treatment of the Lord and his name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict