Making the BEST Choice

WARNING: This is not one of my typical blogs. I am delving into politics so if this isn't what you want to read, go ahead and leave now.

Still here?  Good.

I face a unique conundrum this election cycle. The Republican Party, in nominated Donald Trump, has selected someone in whom I cannot vote for. His campaign antics, name-calling and cursing have rubbed me the wrong way. His positions have changed too much for me to trust his policy decisions in office. He attacks evangelicals who oppose him and slanders anyone who questions him. I just don't trust him to run the country and he certainly does not align with my views.

On the other hand, the Democratic Party will nominate Hillary Clinton, who is also someone I cannot vote for. She has covered up governmental actions and cost the lives of soldiers. She, too, has flipped positions over the years. She supports the current administration's policies, which I feel have been devastating for our country. Worse than that, she supports abortion.

So what is a conservative like myself to do?

One option I often here is to sit out the election. I can't do that. I feel it is my duty as an American citizen to vote in the election. I believe the Bible teaches that I should participate in the political process as part of being a citizen in my country. I must also seek to elect Christian leaders that share Christian-Judaeo values. Not voting is not an option.

Another option I heard brandied about is the idea that I have to vote for the Republican because he's better than Clinton. Choosing the lesser of two evils is still evil. Do you want to get bit by a copperhead or a rattlesnake? Would you rather experience a tornado or a hurricane? Do you want to contract polio or smallpox? In no other realm do we make this argument except in politics.

In fact, if I'm going to offer up cliches, would you rather have the devil you know or the devil you don't know? One you know is bad. The other could be worse. I know Clinton. I don't know Trump. He maybe worse. No, I can't buy or support that argument.

That leaves me little choice but to find a third-party, conservative, pro-life candidate and vote for him or her. When I suggest that solution, I often hear the objections. Here they are:

"But you're throwing your vote away." No, I am voting for the person I think is the best candidate. Isn't that what we are supposed to do as citizen of the United States of America? If we're not voting for the best candidate, then why are we voting? Perhaps you are throwing your vote away for voting for an inferior candidate?

"A third-party vote is a vote for Clinton." No, it's a vote for the best candidate. I will not vote out of fear. Fear-based decisions never turn out well. I will vote according to my conscience, my faith and my beliefs. I will not vote for fear of keeping someone else out of the office.

"A third-party candidate can't win." If you joined me, and other conservatives joined me, and we aligned behind another third-party candidate, I believe they could win the election. Now is that likely? Probably not. But I do believe a third-party candidate could win with enough support.

In the end, I have to vote according to what I believe is right. For me, that means not voting for Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton. If you are like me and do not feel either major candidate is worthy of your vote, then select someone else and cast your ballot. As Christians, I don't think we are Republicans or Democrats. We are citizens of heaven. We have to vote according to those directives and not party lines.

I hope you'll join me in choosing based on what's right and not out of fear or anger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict