Introducing Matt Todd



Matt Todd is a graphics designer who helped with the Sheep Among Wolves book series I co-wrote with Tony Harmon. The second book, The Gathering, is out now.  Click here for the Kindle version.

As part of our promotion, Tony interviewed Matt for the my blog.  Here's the interview.

Question 1: How did you get into graphic design?

Answer: I remember drawing became my first passion. I would draw Disney comics, super heroes like the Hulk, and even my favorite cars like the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazard television show. I knew early on that I wanted to do something related to creating art in some form. After high school and working various jobs, I looked back to my art for some direction. After some research, I discovered that Graphic Design was a perfect niche for me as it encompassed so many aspects of the art world that I enjoyed. I went to Eastern Kentucky University, graduated, and have been busy in the field ever since. 

Question 2: What excites you about the Sheep Among Wolves Universe?

Answer: When Sheep Among Wolves was first described to me, I was intrigued because it mixed two entities I enjoy very much: Science Fiction and Theology. I am proud to say I was born and raised as a Christian and I believe everyone should have some form of relationship with the Creator of the universe and his Son – Jesus Christ. I have always believed that there is something much greater than what we see here on Earth. When I came to know Christ, I realized what that was. Combining my belief in Christ with science fiction storytelling takes my interests to a whole new level. I have read books, played games, and drawn a great many elements of SCI-FI for many years, so to add this to my personal beliefs is even more exciting. 

Question 3: Tell us a little about the process for designing the covers for books 1 and 2. How did you design them?

Answer: After speaking with co-author Tony Harmon about his and Wayne's initial idea and concept, we then likened it to other sci-fi stories we had grew up reading and movies we had watched to give us some basis as to how to begin to envision this setting. I took photos, and made numerous sketches depicting what Tony and I had talked about for the first cover, I was even treated to a sample of the first book as well. After transferring my sketches and photos to the computer, I then started to re-draw everything digitally and began a process very new to me as this was one of my first true digital illustrations. It was a learning a s I went process, but ultimately, I am pleased with the results. If I have visually captured any elements of the fantastic story and made them come to life, then I consider it a win. 

Question: 4: What was your inspiration?

Answer:  Ultimately I focused on the story to inspire me to come up with the visuals for the first cover, but I would be lying if I said that was all. Tony and myself discussed may things that relate themselves to classic movies like the Star Wars franchise. I also looked at may other great works like Battlestar Galactica, Farscape and RoboTech for some inspiration as well. 

Question 5: What do you hope to see from Sheep Among Wolves in the future?

Answer: Well its hard to say, there is so much going on. I certainly and rooting for Jordan and the other Paladins to fight back and win against the Unity and keep Adam safe. I am also looking forward to the monks fighting. Without revealing anything ahead of time, let's just say I am looking forward to the "Gathering"!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict