Grudges Go Nowhere

When I was younger, I used to hold grudges.  If you wronged me, I simply stopped talking to you while secretly plotting my revenge.

Well, I never got my revenge.  In the end, I wasted a lot of effort in keeping silent.  The other person didn't care.  I spent a lot of energy being mad at someone who could care less.

As I've gotten older, I realize the futility of grudges.  Life is simply too short to hold on to anger, resentment and even hate.  Do I still get mad?  You bet.  Do I still have conflict?  Sure.  But once the conflict is over, so is the dispute.  I don't have time to hold onto it for days, weeks or even years.  My energy is best spent elsewhere.

Joseph found himself facing the very same dilemma.  His brothers sold him into slavery, which spiraled toward years of servitude, a false accusation and prison time.  Eventually, he got out and was made second-in-command of all of Egypt.  He has almost unlimited power.

Then his family
showed up. 

He provided food, shelter and land.  But once his father was dead, his brothers feared the worst.  He finally had the power to make them pay and with no father around, there was no one to stop him from enacting his vengeance.

Instead, Joseph forgave.  In fact, he wept at the thought of vengeance and assured them of his love and compassion for them.

Jesus offered similar advice.  He told the disciples to forgive people as often as needed.  He forgave sinners, asking them to simply stop sinning.  He even died on a cross for people who didn't deserve it (like you and me and everyone else.)

Jesus didn't hold a grudge.  Joseph didn't hold a grudge.  You shouldn't either.

Grudges go nowhere.  In the end, you only bring down judgment on yourself.

So let it go and forgive.  It's far healthier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict