Gay rights discourse angers me

Now, I’m starting to get angry.

Earlier this week, Jason Collins, an NBA journeyman, came out of the closet in a Sports Illustrated cover story.  He was universally praised on every radio, television and talk show.  He was overwhelming supported on Twitter and Facebook. 
Chris Broussard, an ESPN NBA writer, when asked directly about it on ESPN, said he believed homosexuality – any sex outside of marriage between a man and a woman – was a sin.  Immediately, calls came in for his suspension.  He’s been labeled a bigot, out of touch and wrong.
Excuse me?  It’s OK to flaunt how great of a decision Jason Collins made but it’s not OK to disagree?  When did sharing your faith and beliefs become a crime against humanity?

More and more, I grow concerned about the tone of our country.  No one is allowed to disagree.  No one is allowed to share their beliefs or faith.  You’re either OK with gay rights, open relationships and sin or you’re out of touch and need to be shut up.

I find it ironic.  We pay people like Broussard to give their opinions.  We want to hear his thoughts on the NBA.  When asked a personal question about faith, he responds honestly and truthfully – things he’s paid to be in his writing and analysis – and we crucify him for saying what he said.

Personally, I support Broussard.  I appreciate his honesty even though it might be an unpopular opinion.  I appreciate that he didn’t back down or tow the company line.  He may pay a heavy price, but I know he’s gained a fan in me.  It’s not just because of what he said, but because he had the courage to say it.
Everyone is admiring Collins’ courage.  I admire Broussard’s.  In this day and age, it is more courageous to say you disagree with homosexuality than it is to come out. 

And it makes me angry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict