Being Who I Am

I'll be the first to admit it.  I'm not very fashion-focused.  I'm also not trendy.

My wife tries to help me along from time to time.  She knows I'm a jeans and T-shirt kind of guy, but every once in a while she convinces me to try a new look.

A few years ago, since I'm in youth ministry, she had me try a flip flops with jeans look, especially for Wednesday nights.  A couple of problems cropped up.  First of all, I don't wear flip flops so I tried to pull off the look with my athletic sandals.  Not the brightest of ideas.  Secondly, it's just not me.  I tried it on and off for a few months in the summer - even my pastor noticed and called it my "real youth minister" look - but ultimately I went back to the standard jeans and T-shirt or khakis and polo.

I'm just not very imaginative when it comes to dress.  I prefer simple and traditional.  I still "dress up" for church on Wednesday with dress pants and a collared shirt.  On Sundays, I wear a suit and tie.  It's just the way I am.

In fact, Jesus wouldn't have it any other way.

In Matthew 7:1-5, Jesus instructs us about judging.  He says we ultimately are judged by the standards we judge others.  In the same vein, Jesus judges us.  He doesn't want us to be hypocrites, but he wants us to be authentic.

In other words, Jesus wants us to be us.  He doesn't want us pretending to be someone we're not.  I could wear the sandals and jeans, but that's just not me.  The same goes for using teen lingo.  I could try using cool words and phrases, but let's face it, I'm not really cool.  Jesus is OK with that.

The most important thing to him is your heart.  It's not what you wear or how you turn a phrase.  He's simply interested in whether you consistently follow him.  Do you treat your relationship with Christ the same at home as you do at church as you do at school as you do at work?

Jesus seeks consistency in our relationship.  He seeks authenticity.

Are you being authentic with Jesus or is it all a show?  You may fool me or your friends or others, but you can't fool Jesus.  He knows.  Yet, all he desires is your true self.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning