"I'm sorry"

"I'm sorry."

That one phrase has a variety of meanings depending on the context.

When someone dies, we say "I'm sorry."  In that instance, we expressing our remorse and identify with another person's grief and loss.

When someone speaks and we can't hear, we may say "I'm sorry?"  In that case, we want them to repeat what they just said.

Yet, the words "I'm sorry" are meant as a way of showing our remorse at our behavior or language.  It's about seeking forgiveness and righting wrongs.

Those two words, in such instances, are so meaningful.  When I say "I'm sorry," I want to reconcile the relationship I've have hurt by my comments or my actions.  I don't want there to be anger or bitterness.  I simply want to restore our community together.

We use "I'm sorry" so often that many times it loses its meaning.  If we are always "sorry," then we never truly are.  Words can be cheap, especially when overused.

In Matthew 5:7, Jesus tells us that blessed are the merciful for they will receive mercy.  Mercy and forgiveness go hand in hand.  To be merciful you must also be forgiving.

That's counter to our culture today.  Society teaches us to hold on to our grudges, fight for your rights at all costs, belittle the enemy and seek revenge.  Jesus says to forgive those who hurt you and love them - even your enemies.

We don't like that idea.  As humans, we'd rather be mad and stay mad.  The truth is, anger holds us hostage.  We let it dictate our feelings and our actions and our attitudes.  Forgiveness, on the other hand, breeds freedom.  When we forgive, we are free to feel, say and do what we want in the presence of that other person.

Jesus seeks your freedom.  He wants you to forgive and be merciful.  In fact, he says if you do, you will receive the same thing in return.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

Only the Beginning