Helmets offer security

A few years ago, my wife's cousin had a serious accident.

While riding her bicycle, she fell off the bike and landed on her head.  I should mention she wasn't wearing a helmet.  The result fall put her in a coma, and she stayed hospitalized for three weeks.  It was a scary time.

It also woke me up the importance of helmets.  I'll admit.  I never wore a helmet while riding a bike.  My daughter will.  I simply don't want to take the risk of a serious brain injury that could be easily prevented by a helmet.

In the same respect, I got my first chance to ride a four-wheeler a few years ago.  I wouldn't go unless they had a helmet for me to wear. 

When my dad used to ride a motorcycle, I only had one request:  That he wear a helmet when he rides.  (Kentucky doesn't require you to wear a helmet by law.)  I didn't want my dad becoming a victim or a vegetable because he didn't wear a helmet.

Helmets serve important functions.  They protect our head (and our brains) from serious injury.  We require athletes in football, hockey, baseball and racing to wear helmets.  It's to protect them from injuries. 

In ancient times (and even today) soldiers wore helmets to protect their heads.  In battle, the head is targeted.  If you can damage the head, you can kill a soldier.  A sword or arrow or bullet to the head is often times fatal.  To protect the head, soldiers wear helmets.

Paul, in Ephesians 6, uses armor metaphorically to discuss our spiritual battles.  He tells us to wear the helmet of salvation to protect our head from doubts and discouragement.  In the spiritual war, Satan wants you doubt your relationship with Christ.  He wants to discourage you from serving.  He wants you to feel isolated, alone and out of fellowship with your creator.

Satan knows if he damages your head, he can render you ineffective for the Gospel.  She he attacks your salvation.  He makes you question it.  He lies and tells you that it's lost. 

Scripture paints a different picture.  Isaiah 51:6-8 says salvation is forever.  John 10:28-29 says we are secure in God's hand.  Romans 8:35-39 says nothing can separate you from the love of God. 1 Peter 1:3-5 assures us that our inheritance (eternal life) does not fade away.

By taking up the helmet of salvation, we can be assured that we are on the winning team.  We can be assured we are God's child and in his kingdom.  Nothing, not on the earth or in the spiritual realm, can take us out of his kingdom.  We are secure in our salvation.

When doubts creep up, examine your life and your decisions.  If you know that you have an authentic relationship with Jesus Christ, then you can be secure in your salvation.  Nothing can take that away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion to a false god

Time for an examination

God Uses Conflict